Wednesday, September 19, 2018

How I became a writer


Many moons ago I thought up a bedtime story for my daughter. I thought it was cute, so wrote it down. Sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night because I had thought of more of the story, so I wrote that down. Then I thought I could possibly turn it into a children’s magazine as a short story. I never did though. Every now and then I would add to the story and revise it. It was just something to pass the time. Then time starting passing me by and next thing I know, I’ve been working on and off on this book for nine years.

I sat myself down and said, “Self, you need to start taking this thing seriously or you’ve just wasted your time.” I didn’t know where to begin. I talked to friends who pointed me in the right direction, gave me support, beta read for me, and gave me a push here and there. In December of 2017, I went to a self-publishing website, and couldn’t make heads or tails of it. I may as well have just Xeroxed my word doc if I was going to do it that way. I called and asked for help. Several dollars later, I had an editor, marketing rep, and a project coordinator. The editing process was both enlightening and excruciating. Enlightening because they gave constructive criticism in a really positive way that I could understand and make corrections. Excruciating because of the anticipation of having to wait for results. I am the most impatient person ever. If I have to wait for something, I won’t. Like I will just walk away or come pounding on your door. Don’t make me wait for things. Just don’t.

Editing done and now we are on our way to the design phase. It’s surreal. It’s starting to hit me now that I am a writer and soon I will officially be a published author. Pretty cool right? Well my kids think so.

I am so excited and proud of myself. I knew it wasn’t going to be the easiest thing I ever done. Maybe I’ll become a famous writer and Hollywood will make movies out of my books. Or maybe, I’ll make zero dollars and have to use my books as kindling in the zombie apocalypse . Either way, I gave it a shot. You only 100% fail at the things you never attempt to do.

Now for the next phase of playing the sit and wait game. I should be getting a proof of the cover and interior design soon. Then off to the printer, marketing, and distribution. So if anyone wants to know what I want for Christmas this year, “buy my book” is at the top of the list. Thanks in advance y’all.

1 comment: